Tuesday, June 6, 2017

My run streak ended today after 922 days

"One man's obsession is another man's dedication."- anonymous

You can learn a lot about yourself and life in general after running every day for 922 consecutive days. Over the years, through running and meditation, I have learned to listen to my body.  When I woke up this morning, my body told me that my run steak should end.  I obliged. 

I started this journey on November 27, 2014.  It was documented in the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/23/sports/ncaabasketball/virginia-commonwealth-coach-leads-by-example-one-mile-at-a-time.html?mcubz=0&_r=0

I consider running to be a part of my daily meditation practice.  Like with meditation, I often focus on my breathing when running. This enables me to see and feel the mind/body connection.  On a good run, I feel utter joy. On a bad run, I just hurt. During the past few months I've been experiencing more bad runs than good ones.

As my body heals during the next few weeks, I hope to rekindle my joy for running. On a deeper level,  I have come to the realization that there is great power in letting go of things that don't serve you anymore.  Running does not define my sole identity, but it is important to me.  It always will be. 

Postscript
I take great pride that this streak has inspired other friends to start their own run streaks.  I know they will carry on.  Streak on, brothers:  Coach Will Wade (LSU), Coach Jamion Christian (Mount St. Mary's), Coach Jodie Smith (Alabama State), and Rick Hemingway (my fellow Ironman Sherpa)!





No comments:

Post a Comment