Tuesday, June 13, 2017

rest and recovery & a new kind of streak?

Doing anything intentional over the course of 922 days is not easy.  One of the primary reasons I started the run streak on 11/27/2014 was to strengthen my mental discipline.  While I don't think I was necessarily lacking mental stamina, I believe it's something you can never have enough of.

It has now been over a week since I have run or exercised. Not being able to do something you are used to doing every day feels weird. However, my body seems to be healing.  While my knees are a bit creaky (and will continue to be), my foot seems better. While I'm chomping at the bit to exercise, I'm holding myself back to let my body mend itself. I'm hoping to heal enough so I can run with my friend, Will Wade, while I'm down in Baton Rouge the end of this week working with his LSU basketball team.

While the very wise Sakyong Mipham stated in his book, Running with the Mind of Meditation, that "Running is running, and meditation is meditation," he does express the sentiment that these two activities support one another.  To achieve optimal harmony, I believe that motion is good for the body, just as stillness nourishes the mind. Simply stated, I see running as an extention of my meditation practice.  It enables me to clear my mind (or at least see what's on it). I don't listen to music when I run, and I prefer not to wear my GPS watch, unless I'm running in an unfamiliar place. As with meditation, I often focus my awareness on my breath when I'm running.  Sometimes I will focus on the sound of my feet hitting the ground as they play out a rhythm.  Other times, I'll time this sound with a mantra- I'll say to myself  "Mind-Body-One" over and over to the rhythm of my foot strike.

Friends have asked me if I will start another running streak.  I have no intention of doing this.  My goal is to be able to run again a couple of days per week without pain.  A significant part of a mindfulness practice is to learn to separate one's self from the ego. After running injured for about six months, I have realized that I wasn't enjoying running anymore.  I was simply doing it to keep the streak going.  This was ego-driven.  Often there is great power in simply "letting go", especially things you have no control over.  

 While the run streak may be over, a new one has started.  I have always strived to keep my meditation practice consistent. I'm happy to report that as of this morning, I have not missed a session in 80 consecutive days.  A new streak begins.    
Postscript: I can't recommend the Insight Meditation Timer app highly enough.  It's great and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment